Stewed Holiday Fruit
Dried apricots, prunes and fresh bananas are drizzled with a sweet cider and marmalade sauce in this fruity concoction from our Test Kitchen, Hints of cinnamon and citrus lend a festive zest to each cool spoonful. Serve a bowlful of this fun fruit for breakfast, snacktime or dessert.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 12 dried apricots
- 12 pitted dried plums
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain cider, reserving liquid; set apricots and plums aside. Discard spices. In a small saucepan, combine marmalade, lemon juice, butter and reserved cider. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cool. Divide apricots, plums and bananas among serving dishes; drizzle with cooled sauce. Sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 259 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Stewed Holiday Fruit in Light & Tasty December/January 2002