Stew for Two
HERE’S an easy stew that’s ready in an hour. The tender beef and colorful vegetables are perfect ingredients for a comforting meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 3/4 pound beef cube steaks, cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon thyme. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, potato, onion, carrots, red pepper, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, garlic powder, pepper and remaining thyme.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Stir in peas. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5-10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts2-1/2 cups: 465 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 46g protein.
Originally published as Bodacious Beef Stew in Reminisce Extra March 2009
Jan 23, 2013
I selected 3 stars to rate this recipe. There's nothing special about it except that you really can cook stew in about an hour. It's a nice old fashioned kind of meal.