Steamed Hawaiian Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes1 loaf (6 wedges)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the coconut milk, honey, banana and extract; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a 2-cup stoneware dish or bowl coated with cooking spray; cover with foil.
- Place on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, adding more water as needed.
- Remove dish from kettle; let stand for 15 minutes before removing bread from dish.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 197 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 8, 2010
This was very good. I did substitute sugar for the honey because I was out. I added about 2 tablespoons more banana just to use up what I had. It cooked up in about 25 minutes. I missed that you had to cover with foil. I just put a paper towel to catch any steam. I don't know if the changes contributed to the quick cooking but it was very good and it didn't heat up the kitchen. I found it to be more like a cake. Will make again.