Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
One Christmas, my husband—a Navy chaplain for 20 years—had to spend the holidays overseas, away from our two children and me. At his request, I sent him this special recipe so he could have a taste of home.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine all pudding ingredients in order given. Pour into a well-greased 4-cup pudding mold. Place in a stockpot on a rack. Fill stockpot with boiling water to 1-in. depth; cover stockpot and boil gently. Replace water as needed. Steam about 1 hour or until pudding tests done. Let stand 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add cream and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Boil for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve pudding and sauce warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 454 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Steamed Cranberry Pudding in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook