I first tried this sunny side dish because it seemed to be a fresh, nutritious and easy combination. Now it's the only way my husband will eat broccoli. I love to pair it with grilled meat on hot days.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket. Place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the lemon peel and juice, salt, pepper and broccoli; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 142 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Steamed Lemon Broccoli in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.