Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Sauce
"My husband created this smooth tangy sauce back in the 60's," recalls Lois Gelzer of Standish, Maine. "It complements the steamed artichokes, whether they're served warm or cold."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 medium fresh artichokes
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning blend
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place the artichokes upside down in a steamer basket; place the basket in a saucepan over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 25-35 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with artichokes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 102 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Sauce in Quick Cooking March/April 2000