- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), julienned
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes; let stand 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and shallots until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from pan.
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper and salt. In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook steaks until desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°), 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add wine and thyme to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. In a bowl, mix flour and broth until smooth; gradually add to wine mixture. Stir in tomatoes and mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon over steaks. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSteaks with Mushroom Sauce
"A hit with the whole family. My husband says he would eat this twice a week. We had mashed potatoes and broccoli. The only change I made was I omitted shallots because I didn't have any. I've made this several times, not twice a week though, every time it's hit. My son says it's his 3rd favorite meal behind pizza and spaghetti. easy and special Friday night dinner."
"Another winner from "Light & Tasty" magazine. Things I did differently... I omitted the salt (the beef broth and sun dried tomatoes are already salted) and I cooked the steaks out on the grill. We had the first sign of spring today so I drug out the grill. I made the sauce separately in a l sauce pan. Served the steaks and mushroom sauce with baked potatoes and steamed carrots for a very special Thursday dinner."