Steak with Squash Medley
This recipe for our traditional Sunday night dinner dates back to the 1960s, yet it's still a favorite. At that time, we operated a small inn in southern Indiana, and every week after most of the guests had departed, my wife and I would enjoy a quiet, leisurely dinner. -Jim Tusing, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 beef ribeye steaks (10 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced okra, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown steaks on both sides in 2 tablespoons oil. Cook 8 minutes longer or until the meat reaches desired doneness(for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove and keep warm.
- Drain skillet. Saute onion, squash, zucchini, okra if desired and garlic in remaining oil for 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar, rosemary, thyme and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve over steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 528 calories, 43g fat (12g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Steaks with Squash Medley in Reminisce Extra August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.