Steak with Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) tomato juice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Cut steak into four pieces. Add beef to bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 359 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.