Steak with Sauce
My husband and I have enjoyed this recipe for years. The comforting sauce is wonderful, and the dish always brings back memories.—Vera C. Kleiber, Raleigh, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) tomato juice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Cut steak into four pieces. Add beef to bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.