These wonderful sandwiches are very satisfying. I like to serve them with raw veggies and fresh fruit. Onion plus the red and green pepper give the sandwich zip.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 French or submarine rolls, split
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Butter rolls and place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, combine the green pepper, red pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- To the skillet, add the steak. Cook and stir until steak reaches desired doneness. Return peppers to pan; heat through. Spoon beef mixture onto rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace roll tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 589 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Pepper Steak Sandwiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook