These wonderful sandwiches are very satisfying. I like to serve them with raw veggies and fresh fruit. Onion plus the red and green pepper give the sandwich zip.
Recommended: 30 Beef Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 French or submarine rolls, split
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Butter rolls and place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, combine the green pepper, red pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- To the skillet, add the steak. Cook and stir until steak reaches desired doneness. Return peppers to pan; heat through. Spoon beef mixture onto rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace roll tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pepper Steak Sandwiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p60