Steak Salad Baskets
Our Test Kitchen created crunchy homemade cheese baskets to hold a satisfying salad packed with tender steak, crunchy cucumbers and flavorful olives.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 5 min.
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 pound beef ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups julienned peeled cucumbers
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 seconds.
- Using a spatula, carefully remove cheese mixture and immediately drape over an inverted shot glass or miniature muffin cup; cool completely. Repeat with remaining cheese, forming 20 baskets.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, cook steak over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Cool and drain, discarding pan juices; place in a large bowl. Add the cucumbers, carrots and olives.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, and remaining salt and pepper; add to steak mixture and toss to coat. Place about 3 tablespoons salad in each basket. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Salad Shooters in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010