Meet the Cook: When I hear "meat and potatoes", this is the recipe that immediately comes to mind. I've made it for years, and everyone who's tried it has liked it. Most often, friends comment on its heartiness and on its combination of tastes. -Pattie Bonner, Cocoa, Florida
Recommended: Top 10 Potpie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sliced onions
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch ground allspice
- Pinch ground ginger
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- In a large skillet, saute the onions in 2 tablespoons oil until golden. Drain and set aside.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine dry ingredients; add meat and shake to coat. Brown meat in remaining oil in the same skillet. Add water; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with onion slices. Roll pastry to fit baking dish. Place over hot filling; seal to edges of dish. Make slits in the crust.
- Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Steak Potpie in Country Woman March/April 1996, p33