Steak ‘n’ Onion Pie
The recipe for this old-fashioned meat pie comes from my mom, who made it for me when I was a child. No one will go away from the table hungry when this hearty dish is served.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, brown meat on all sides. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, adding more water if needed. Transfer meat and potato mixture to a lightly greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Place reserved onion slices over the top.
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until dough a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit baking dish. Place over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 420 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Steak 'n' Onion Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004