Steak ‘n’ Gravy
"Served over rice or mashed potatoes, this nicely spiced steak makes a satisfying meal," proposes Betty Janway of Ruston, Louisiana.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 pound beef top round steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- Cut beef into bite-size pieces; brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Cover with water; add tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until gravy is thickened. Serve with rice or potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Steak 'n' Gravy in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Apr 24, 2013
This was very tender and tasty. Easy to prepare. I skipped the garlic powder and tossed in a few onions instead.
Jul 12, 2009
Mmmm good stuff,I like it better without the cumin though.