- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Sliced avocado and lime wedges, optional
- For salsa, place first five ingredients in a small bowl; stir in 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand until serving.
- Sprinkle steak with the remaining cumin and salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°), 6-8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until crisp-tender. Slice steak thinly across the grain; serve in tortillas with onion and salsa. If desired, serve with avocado and lime wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSteak Fajitas
"I had to modify this to suit ingredients I had on hand. To save money I used thin-cut round steak--will not do that again! I substituted green bell pepper for the jalapeno, had to omit the cilantro. It was good, but it would have been better if I had followed the recipe more closely. Will try again."
"LOVE THESE! I used two jalapenos for extra heat and it made these really spicy and good."
"The tomato relish is awesome it really makes the fajitas amazing!"