Steak Crostini with Carrot-Horseradish Marmalade
I've been making little tweaks to this family favorite for years. Prep everything ahead, then layer up the crostini right before party time. —Greg Fontenot, The Woodlands, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 30 min.
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound medium carrots, grated
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 boneless beef top loin steak (12 to 14 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place baguette slices on baking sheets; brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Place carrots and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add sugar; cook on medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add desired amount of horseradish and mix well. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Cook and stir onions until golden brown and tender, 10-12 minutes; cool. Stir in cheeses, mayonnaise and sour cream.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 4-6 minutes on each side. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into thin slices.
- To serve, spread cheese mixture on each baguette slice. Add a piece of steak; top with carrot mixture.
Editor’s Note: Top loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 124 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.