Here is an elegant entree that can be prepared in under 30 minutes! Tender meat and a great peppery flavor is accompanied by a rich cream sauce and fresh shiitake mushrooms.
Recommended: 32 Super Steak Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper and salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushroom in remaining oil. Add thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Add brandy; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated. Stir in cream. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Steak au Poivre in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p20