Steak au Poivre
Here is an elegant entree that can be prepared in under 30 minutes! Tender meat and a great peppery flavor is accompanied by a rich cream sauce and fresh shiitake mushrooms. —Barbara Pletzke, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper and salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushroom in remaining oil. Add thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Add brandy; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated. Stir in cream. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 1/4 cup mushrooms: 342 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Steak au Poivre on French Baguette Slices in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011