Steak and Vegetables
Soy sauce flavors this colorful combination of garden-fresh veggies and tender strips of sirloin from Melanie Bowman of Midland, Texas. Served over rice, it's hearty meal-in-one.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 10 ounces beef top sirloin steak
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, bouillon, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. Cut steak thinly across the grain, then cut slices in half; set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 4 minutes; remove and set aside. Add meat; stir-fry for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add the tomatoes, water chestnuts and green pepper mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve with rice.