- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and pepper in butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the rice, pimientos, thyme and marjoram.
- Cut steak into six pieces; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread evenly with mushroom mixture; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- In the same skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides. Add soup mix and water; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, occasionally spooning cooking liquid over roll-ups.
- Thicken cooking juices if desired; serve with roll-ups. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSteak and Rice Roll-Ups
"Wasn't sure about this.Hard to roll up nicely,but don't worry about the rice falling out.Had a lot left over.Diddn't have onion soup so read on line about the very high salt.They suggested using 3 tbls dehydrated onions,1/4 tsp basil,1/2 tsp parsley,I used 1 can beef broth instead of water.Next time I will use 11/2 or 2 cans,then add the leftover rice mix and the end.My wife loved this a lot.I wasn't sure if she would.She usually tells me about my cooking,but did this time.Will make it again soon."