Steak and Rice Roll-Ups
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and pepper in butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the rice, pimientos, thyme and marjoram.
- Cut steak into six pieces; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread evenly with mushroom mixture; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- In the same skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides. Add soup mix and water; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, occasionally spooning cooking liquid over roll-ups.
- Thicken cooking juices if desired; serve with roll-ups. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 328 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Mar 9, 2012
Wasn't sure about this.Hard to roll up nicely,but don't worry about the rice falling out.Had a lot left over.Diddn't have onion soup so read on line about the very high salt.They suggested using 3 tbls dehydrated onions,1/4 tsp basil,1/2 tsp parsley,I used 1 can beef broth instead of water.Next time I will use 11/2 or 2 cans,then add the leftover rice mix and the end.My wife loved this a lot.I wasn't sure if she would.She usually tells me about my cooking,but did this time.Will make it again soon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.