Steak And Bean Chili
My husband, Steve, actually created the recipe for this meaty chili when he was in high school...he entered a chili cook-off contest and won! I'm usually the one who makes this now, but Steve insists the way he makes it is better!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound round steak, cubed
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and steak over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, soup and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Round steak is one of the least expensive cuts of meat and contains the least marbling. Fresh round steak should have a bright to deep red color and only a small amount of fat on the edge.