- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, carrots and peas. Add the broth, water, vinegar, parsley, chives, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSteak 'N' Vegetable Soup
"Excellent soup. I followed the recipe pretty closely, eliminating only the salt. I agree with ahmom: the balsamic vinegar was a great addition! Great blend of flavors. I think other vegetables could be substituted--corn, green beans, for example."
"Very plan had no kick to it. Bland tasting."
"The balsamic vinegar makes the soup!"