Yes, we call this savory dish a “breakfast” hash, but with delectable ingredients like mushrooms, cheddar cheese, zucchini and taters, we’re betting your family will love this meal at any time of the day. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
Recommended: 40+ Satisfying Low-Carb Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 6 ounces cooked sirloin steak, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 9 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms and zucchini in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp-tender. Drain potatoes and add to the skillet. Stir in broth, mustard and rosemary. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add steak; heat through.
- Fry eggs in remaining butter in another skillet as desired. Serve with hash; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Steak & Mushroom Breakfast Hash in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p19