- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Combine milk and egg yolk; brush over puffs. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until almost stiff. Split cream puffs; discard soft dough from inside. Fill the cream puffs just before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forState Fair Cream Puffs
"I just did this last night and it was so good ??????"
"Just before serving, fill center with a scoop of ice cream, put the lid back on and pour hot fudge over the top. Yum"
"Cream puffs have been made by my family for many many years. When my kids were little, my Mom made cream puffs but changed the filling to suit youngsters. She made pudding and mixed it with Dream Whip. She always made chocolate and vanilla. My kids adored her for it."
"I made these cream puffs for my son's birthday at his request. It was a hit, no leftovers. They were easy and quick to make. I placed the dough in a plastic bag and cut a small hole in the corner and piped them out onto a Silpat to make mini puffs. I let them cool in the oven. When I sliced them open they were hollow and no need to remove any yummy innards. I did bake them at 425 for 20 minutes. I filled them with homemade vanilla pudding the next day."
"We love these cream puffs I made them for some friends an now that's all I can bring I added some strawberries so good"
"How do you prevent all of the extra dough inside the puff? What oven rack is the correction position for the puffs? My puffs were not puffy after they cooled and I sliced them."
"Cream puffs are easy to make - been making them for 50 yrs. However, never attempt to double recipe (make two separate batches) and never attempt to make when humidity level is above 45 to 50% or actually raining. They will come out like hockey pucks."
"Perfect recipe each time. Thank You for sharing..."
"Fair amount of work but they were awesome!"