Darlis Wilfer of Phelps, Wisconsin contributes a sensational salad to our menu. Her sweet-and-sour carrot dressing perfectly complements a combination of lettuce, tomatoes and peppers.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups torn salad greens
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- For dressing, combine the first seven ingredients in a blender. Cover and process until smooth. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, peppers, Parmesan cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 146 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Start-Your Engine Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2002