Stars and Stripes Forever Dessert
Served with a creamy, full-bodied dip, sugared puff pastry stars and a fresh berry medley make a festive dessert. It's pretty, delicious and easy to prepare for the Fourth of July or any summer gathering. —Gail Sykora, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured star-shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine berries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Place sour cream in a small serving bowl; fold in whipped cream.
- Place bowl on a serving platter. Spoon berry mixture onto platter; top with pastry stars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 332 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Stars and Stripes Forever Dessert in Taste of Home June/July 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.