Starry Fruit Punch
Besides quenching a hot day's thirst, details Betty Romine of Lake Jackson, Texas, her fruity beverage saves time in the kitchen, too. "For the star-shaped molds, you just mix and freeze three basic ingredients," she describes. "The punch goes together quickly as well—making it ideal for lots of occasions."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 packages (.23 ounces each) unsweetened lime soft drink mix
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (6 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6-1/2 cups cold water
- 6 ounces limeade concentrate
- 6 ounces lemonade concentrate
- 1 can (46 ounces) pineapple juice, chilled
- 2 liters ginger ale, chilled
- In a bowl, dissolve sugar and drink mix in water. Pour into twelve 1/2-cup star-shaped molds or one 6-cup mold. Freeze overnight.
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water and concentrates. Chill.
- Transfer to a punch bowl just before serving; stir in pineapple juice and ginger ale. Add three small ice molds or one large mold. Replenish small ice molds as needed.
Originally published as Starry Fruit Punch in Crafting Traditions July/August 1999