Celebrate Independence Day with this patriotic treat dreamed up by our home economists. Star-shaped corn muffins are terrific when topped with ice cream and colorful berries.
Recommended: 17 All-American Recipes for Election Night
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Fill six greased star-shaped cups or muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries; sprinkle with sugar and gently toss to coat.
- Cool shortcakes for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack. Drizzle vinegar over berries; toss to coat. Top each shortcake with a scoop of ice cream and berry mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Star-Spangled Shortcake in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p23
Reviews forStar-Spangled Shortcake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2016
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2012
"This is fantastic! If you have never tried balsamic strawberries before, do it, they are so good. I crave them. This recipe is excellent!"