Celebrate Independence Day with this patriotic treat dreamed up by our home economists. Star-shaped corn muffins are terrific when topped with ice cream and colorful berries.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Fill six greased star-shaped cups or muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries; sprinkle with sugar and gently toss to coat.
- Cool shortcakes for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack. Drizzle vinegar over berries; toss to coat. Top each shortcake with a scoop of ice cream and berry mixture.
Editor's Note: Star-shaped muffin pans are available from Wilton Industries, Inc. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.quickcooking.com for a web site link.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 267 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Stars Dessert in Quick Cooking July/August 2005