"I baked these treats for a church tea," says Patti Schmidt of Canton, Ohio. The night before, I gave a sample to the folks setting up. They like the cookies so much, they saved the rest to ensure they'd get some the next day!"
Recommended: Our Favorite Ice Cream Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 8 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- Liquid or paste food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, flour and cream. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2 in. star cookie cutter. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Prick each cookie 3-4 times with a fork. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve desired spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Carefully spread filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Star Sandwich Cookies in Country Woman November/December 2001, p29