Sugar cookies are a must-have on any holiday cookie tray. These sweet star cookies are super cute and buttery, and they require no frosting.—Aneta Kish, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Remove 1/2 cup dough; stir in extract and food coloring. Wrap both portions of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll plain dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Roll peppermint dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place one star in the center of each round cutout; sprinkle with glitter.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteEdible glitter is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 71 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.