Sugar cookies are a must-have on any holiday cookie tray. These sweet star cookies are super cute and buttery, and they require no frosting.—Aneta Kish, La Crosse, Wisconsin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Remove 1/2 cup dough; stir in extract and food coloring. Wrap both portions of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll plain dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Roll peppermint dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place one star in the center of each round cutout; sprinkle with glitter.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Star-Bright Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014