VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil
- Paste food coloring in colors of your choice
- Fishing line
- Butter 10-12 assorted metal Halloween cookie cutters. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in orange oil. Pour into large ramekins or custard cups; tint with food coloring as desired.
- Working quickly, pour sugar mixture into prepared cutters to a depth of 3/16 in. Cool for 1 minute. Using a wooden skewer, poke a hole in the top of each candy. (If sugar mixture hardens before pouring into cutters, microwave in a large ramekin or custard cup for 10 seconds on high.)
- Remove cutters just before candy is set. String fishing line through holes; knot each line, forming a loop. Hang as desired. Yield: 10-12 candy ornaments.
Originally published as Stained-Glass Spooks in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p240