Stained Glass Heart Cutout Cookies
Field editor Dixie Terry from Goreville, Illinois suggests these delicious and festive-looking cookies with a "stained glass" heart in the center.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup crushed clear red hard candy
- 1 cup vanilla frosting, optional
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Cut out centers with a 1-1/4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; set aside to reroll. Place cookies 1 in. apart on lightly greased foil-lined baking sheets. Fill centers with crushed candy.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until candy is melted and edges of cookies begin to brown. Cool completely on baking sheets. Carefully peel cookies off foil. If desired, combine frosting and food coloring; pipe around edges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 151 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.