Stained Glass Cutouts Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Assorted colors of clear hard candy
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle. Meanwhile, coarsely crush each color of hard candy separately; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 4-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Cut out centers with 1-in. cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 in. apart on lightly grease foil-lined baking sheets. Fill centers with crushed candy. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until candy is melted and edges begin to brown. Cool completely on baking sheet. Carefully peel cookies off the foil. Yield: about 3 dozen.
2 each: 172 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Stained Glass Cutouts
"This recipe was very difficult. Once the dough was soft enough to roll, it was too soft to move to the pans for baking. The center shapes became distorted. It doesn't say in the recipe, but the centers need a LOT of candy to form the "glass" and will melt into the cookie, so be careful not to get any shards/chips of candy on top of the cookie."