Stacy’s Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + soaking Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups dried black beans
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, broth, oregano, thyme, salt, cayenne and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan; heat though. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
May 4, 2011
Very good. I used three 15.5 ounce cans of black beans drained and rinsed and an immersion blender. Also- instead of the oregano and thyme, I used a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin. I think you could probably throw in a 4th can of beans to make it thicker- I may try this next time. A lot of flavor and so healthy!
Oct 9, 2009
My whole family loved this soup! As a vegetarian, I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken broth as well. We put a dollop of sour cream and pico de gallo in the center. Even my 5 and 7 yr old girls loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.