- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Green colored sugar and red nonpareils
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 9 wrapped Rolo candies
- Gumdrops, halved crosswise
- 9 peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cookie dough in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes to soften. Beat in vanilla. Add flour; beat until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 18 cookies. Repeat with 1-1/2-in. and 1-in. round cookie cutters.
- Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar; decorate edges with nonpareils. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For each Christmas tree, pipe frosting on top of a Rolo candy for a trunk; top with a 2-in. cookie. Pipe frosting on top and bottom of a gumdrop; place in center of cookie. Top with another 2-in. cookie. Repeat layers with two 1-1/2-in. cookies and two 1-in. cookies, piping frosting on gumdrops to adhere layers.
- Attach a peppermint candy to the top using additional frosting. Thin remaining frosting with water; drizzle over edges. Yield: 9 cookies.
Reviews forStacked Christmas Tree Cookies
"Read the recipe. It says clearly to separate the cookie layers with the gumdrops with the frosting piped on them to help them adhere. Cute recipe-kids love it!"
"what do you put between the cookies to separate them ?"