Stacey’s Famous BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Grill: 40 min.
Makes4 servings plus 3 cups leftover sauce
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Set aside 1/2 cup sauce for basting; cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for later use.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken skin side down over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken leg quarter: 340 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
May 21, 2015
This is the best ever BBQ Sauce--I misplaced it and I was so glad when I found it again-- No store bought sauce evens come close
May 8, 2013
I opted out of the Serrano pepper because my kids aren't spicy food fans and we really liked it a lot!
Aug 21, 2011
I have made this twice (both times with boneless-skinless chicken breasts b/c my husband has something against bones) and it's great. The sauce has just the right amount of twang!
Jul 22, 2011
We live between Atlanta and Macon, real open-air pit BBQ places that have been around for 100 years are known to the locals. I always try to duplicate the sauce at home, but never come close-ever, until last night when I made this recipe. I always tell my family that it is a new recipe and that they can be honest so I know to make it again or throw away the recipe...and it was a 5 star all the way around!!!
Jun 27, 2011
This was tasty for homemade bbq sauce.
Jun 12, 2011
The sauce is amazing and keeps for future use!! My family loved it!