St. Patrick’s Day Fruit Rainbow
Total TimePrep: 1 hour
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 8 drops yellow liquid food coloring
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 15 to 18 large green grapes, halved
- 15-ounces can of mandarin oranges, well-drained
- 10 to 15 fresh strawberries, halved
- Mint leaves, optional
- 17x12-inch board
- Blue gift wrap to cover board
- Clear cellophane to cover board
- Gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins (optional)
- Cover the 17x12-in. board with blue gift wrap, taping the wrap on the back side of the board. Cover the wrapped board with clear cellophane in the same way.
- Pot of gold: Referring to the photo above for position, score a 1/2-in.-wide strip over the top half of the orange to make the handle. Score the peel from the base of the handle on one side to the base on the opposite side. Cut along the scored lines with a paring knife and remove the peel. Repeat on the other side of the handle.
- Using a paring or grapefruit knife and spoon, scoop out the pulp from under the handle and inside the orange. Discard pulp.
- Use a peel stripper to cut six to eight strips about 1 in. apart form the top to the bottom of the pot, leaving the peel attached to the bottom. Roll up peel into loops and tuck them under the pot.
- Rainbow: Cut the cake into 1-in. cubes. Arrange two rows of cubes on the covered board to form a 15-in.-long arch, making the right side 2 in. shorter than the left side.
- In a small bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, orange juice, orange zest and 2 drops of food coloring. Fold in the whipped cream. Remove 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture and stir in 6 drops of food coloring. Spoon the mixture into the orange to create the pot of gold. If desired, arrange mint leaves on the covered board at short end of rainbow. Place the pot on top of leaves.
- Spread the cake cubes with remaining cream cheese mixture. Referring to the photo for position, arrange the fruit in rows over the cake to form the rainbow's stripes. If desired, scatter gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins on the board around the rainbow and pot of gold.
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the idea. I have a rainbow shaped tray and this will be perfect for brunch. I plan to use red=raspberries, orange mandarin oranges, yellow= bananas, green= green grapes, blue=blueberries, indigo=blackberries, violet=blue grapes.
Mar 16, 2010
This was super easy and very cute and yummy for a St. Patrick's Day brunch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.