- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring
- Place popcorn in a large roasting pan; place in a 250° oven. Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, water, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until blended. Stir in food coloring. Drizzle over warm popcorn and toss to coat. Let stand until cool. Break apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 quarts.
Reviews forSt. Patrick's Day Popcorn
"I didn't care for this very much...thought it stuck to my teeth too much and was a little overly sweet; my 6 year old loved it, though!"
"GOOD GREEN FUN!! AND TASTEE"
"very tasty and fun to make, my kids loved it, so did I!"
"Great flavor and very festive for St. Patrick's Day. I made this for my husband's Silver Sneakers Class at the YMCA."
"This Popcorn was a really big hit with my kids and their classmates. Even the moms were amazed that the popcorn was green."
"This was perfect for my 7&9yr old boys class treats. We made an assembly line and everyone helped. From popping the corn to bagging it, we had fun."