- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring
- Place popcorn in a large roasting pan; place in a 250° oven. Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, water, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until blended. Stir in food coloring. Drizzle over warm popcorn and toss to coat. Let stand until cool. Break apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 quarts.
Reviews forSt. Patrick's Day Popcorn
"I didn't care for this very much...thought it stuck to my teeth too much and was a little overly sweet; my 6 year old loved it, though!"
"Great flavor and very festive for St. Patrick's Day. I made this for my husband's Silver Sneakers Class at the YMCA."
"This Popcorn was a really big hit with my kids and their classmates. Even the moms were amazed that the popcorn was green."
"This was perfect for my 7&9yr old boys class treats. We made an assembly line and everyone helped. From popping the corn to bagging it, we had fun."