Squash-Stuffed Baked Apples Recipe
My husband and our four children enjoy my baking creations, including apples filled with squash and festive spices. They make a healthy and delicious accompaniment to a holiday meal. —Carolyn Buschkamp, Emmetsburg, Iowa
- 8 medium tart apples
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Core apples, leaving bottoms intact; peel top third of each. Remove centers of apples, leaving 1/2-in. shells; chop removed apple and set aside.
- 2. Place cored apples in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, orange juice and water; pour over apples. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with juice mixture.
- 3. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped apple; cook and stir until tender. Stir in squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in salt, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and remaining brown sugar. Spoon into baked apples; sprinkle with remaining nutmeg.
- 4. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until heated through, basting occasionally. Drizzle with pan juices before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 stuffed apple: 192 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 5g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Squash-Stuffed Baked Apples
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC