Getting our son and daughter to eat squash was out of the question until a friend suggested I try this recipe. These puffs are similar to hush puppies, which my kids love. Now they love these!—Constance Ellenburg, Southhave, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup mashed cooked acorn squash
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a bowl, combine the squash, egg and onion. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt; add to squash mixture and mix well.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 365°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning often. Drain on paper towels.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for self-rising flour, place 3/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1/2 cup.
Originally published as Squash Puffs in Taste of Home October/November 1997