Squash Hominy Soup
Using frozen cooked winter squash speeds up the preparation time in this delicious soup. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, hominy and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 203 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1558mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Squash Soup with Hominy in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.