Squash Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 medium yellow summer squash (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a large bowl, combine corn bread mixes and eggs. Fold in the squash, cheeses, onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour into two 8-in. square baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen bread: Thaw at room temperature. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 116 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 1, 2016
I loved this cornbread! It had wonderful corn taste with the moistness from the squash. Definitely a keeper.
Jan 30, 2010
Sorry I rated this recipe as excelent but it did not come out that way and I can't change it.
Jan 30, 2010
I also cut this in half and used low fat ingredients.
Jul 15, 2009
Yes, this can be cut in half. It appears that the recipe was originally published as a freezer friendly recipe -- hence the two pans and freeze one. Each of the ingredients will divide easily. I will be making it with lower-fat ingredients. I have found in the past that egg substitute (or egg whites), skim milk, fat-free cottage cheeses, and reduced-fat cheese have little effect on the results of such recipes.
Aug 28, 2008
Instructions for microwaving the squash instead of steaming?
Aug 21, 2008
can this be cut in half?