VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, salt, pepper, nutmeg and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; pour cream over top.
Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, toss apples in remaining oil. Spoon over squash. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Reheat casserole, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Squash au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p9
Reviews forSquash au Gratin
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2014
"So happy I discovered a new way to cook butternut squash! This is so yummy. I never added the apples, just added the cheese at the last 10 minutes uncovered."