Squash au Gratin
This is a fabulous-tasting dish that has an awesome aroma while baking. Tart apples add a fruity flavor.—Deb Williams, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, salt, pepper, nutmeg and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; pour cream over top.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, toss apples in remaining oil. Spoon over squash. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Reheat casserole, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 223 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Squash Au Gratin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.