Squash and Bean Saute
We like to include meatless dishes in our diet. This nicely seasoned vegetable medley is easy to prepare and really delicious. Sometimes we even enjoy it as a main entree. —Ellie Vorous of Seaford, Delaware
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, garlic and seasonings in oil until onion is tender. Add the beans, squash and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Add tomatoes and parsley; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 76 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Squash and Bean Saute in Light & Tasty June/July 2003